Diabetes is a serious disease that affects the body’s ability to properly use blood sugars for energy. Duplin County Health Department offers the only American Dietetic Association (ADA )approved Diabetes Education course in the county. The Diabetic Self–Management Program is designed for patients who need formal diabetic training. This program assists patients with monitoring and gaining control of their blood sugar levels. In addition, the program helps educate patients on the importance of meal planning and offers medication education and assistance. The Diabetes Education Team also spends time teaching patients how to properly deal with stress, the necessity of exercising, and the importance of specialized sick care in relation to their diabetes.
Medical Nutrition Therapy is designed for diabetic patients who need additional help and guidance with their diet plan. The patient will be able to meet with the diabetes educator and nutritionist to create a meal plan suitable to their needs. The meal plan will focus on carbohydrate counting, label reading and much more!
The Diabetic Education team offers weekly diabetic classes. These classes are a key component of the self-management program. The program is a series of four, two hour classes. The classes are conducted by a trained diabetes educator, a Family Nurse Practitioner, a Registered Nurse and a Registered Nutritionist.
In Order to Enroll in the Diabetes Education Program:
- A diagnosis of diabetes, pre-diabetes, gestational diabetes or glucose tolerance must be given by a physician.
- A Self-Management Diabetes Program referral must be completed by your physician.
- The physician referral must be faxed or called in to the Health Department.
- The Diabetes educator will call to schedule an assessment appointment.
- You will receive medication management assistance.
- You can make an appointment for medical nutrition therapy.
- You will receive follow up through out the program enrollment.
- Family members are welcomed to attend classes.
Hours of Operation:
|Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.