Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
(Refer to Article VI – Employee Leave Benefits, Section 5. Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) in the Duplin County Personnel Policy, page 93)
The FMLA entitles eligible employees to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. Eligible employees are entitled to:
Twelve (12) workweeks or 480 hours of leave in a 12-month period for:
- the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
- the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
- to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
- a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
- any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
Twenty-six workweeks of leave during a single 12-month period to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the service member’s spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave).
As a Duplin County employee, if you feel, you qualify for FMLA, please contact Duplin County Human Resources at 910-296-2174 to schedule an appointment to discuss your options and benefits under the program.
FMLA Library & Links