Maps / Plats
Maps and Plats are a part of the records kept in the Office of the Register of Deeds that are related to real property, but special laws govern their recording.
In order for a map or plat to be recorded in the Office of the Register of Deeds, it must by statute be in one of two forms:
- As a freestanding map/plat
- As an attachment to a deed or other instrument
FREESTANDING MAP REQUIRMENTS
SIZE and MATERIAL FORM
In order for a freestanding map/plat to be recorded in Duplin County , it must:
- Be on mylar or a reproduced drawing, transparent and archival (as defined by the American National Standards Institute).
- The dimensions of a freestanding map/plat must be 18 by 24 inches and have at least a ½ inch border on the left side and at least a ½ inch border on the other three sides.
REVIEW OFFICER CERTIFICATION
Before a map/plat can be recorded in the Office of the Register of Deeds it must first be submitted to the county Review Officer or his designee. The Review Officer's office is located in Room #112 of the Duplin County Courthouse Annex directly across the hall from the Office of the Register of Deeds. The only exception to having a map/plat signed by the Review Officer is if it contains a certificate signed by the surveyor stating that the survey is of one of the four following types which are exempted:
- A survey located in a portion of a county or municipality unregulated as to an ordinance that regulates parcels of land
- A survey of an existing parcel of parcels of land that does not create a new street or change an existing street
- A survey of an existing building or other structure or a natural feature such as a watercourse
- A control survey
MAPS ATTACHED TO DEEDS OR OTHER INSTURMENTS REQUIRMENTS
Maps / Plats recorded as an attachment to a deed or other instrument must be no larger than 8 ½ by 14 inches
REVIEW OFFICER CERTIFICATION
Maps/Plats which include the original signature and seal of a registered land surveyor or be a certified copy of a map/plat with such a signature and seal. This kind of map/plat is subject to the same review officer presentation and certification requirements as a freestanding map/plat.
The Review Officer's certification is not required for maps/plats attached to deeds or other instruments for illustration purposes only. However, such maps/plats must contain the following statement:
THIS MAP IS NOT A CERTIFIED SURVEY AND HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED BY A LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH ANY APPLICABLE LAND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS.
$21.00 each page
Certified copy - $5.00
Uncertified copy to scale - $4.00
Uncertified copy scaled down to 8 ½ X 11 - $0.25
Maps as an Attachment to a Deed or Other Instrument
See Fee schedule for real property instruments
||PO Box 970,
Kenansville, NC 28349
||Duplin County Courthouse Annex,
|Hours of Operation:
||Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.