Accounting Technician II
DEPARTMENT: Duplin County Health Department
SALARY: $ 13.2712 Hourly / $ 27,604 Annually
OPENING DATE: November 1, 2019 “OPEN UNTIL FILLED”
APPLY AT: Duplin County Personnel Office
County Administration Building
224 Seminary Street
Kenansville, NC 28349
Website Address: www.duplincountync.com
“Equal Opportunity Employer”
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
This position provides support in the day to day disbursement and accountability of expenditures and receipts by preparing purchase requests, processing invoices, posting expenses to spreadsheets and ensuring the accuracy of A/R system of patient accounts. Employee is also responsible for in-house support of computer systems, printers and software.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
82% Accounting and Fiscal Management
- Processes all invoices for the department.
- Utilizes P-card for purchases according to policies and procedures.
- Requests additional PO’s from Purchasing Agent when necessary.
- Researches prices, products, and vendors for purchase orders in accordance with the County Purchasing Policy.
- Maintains yearly open purchase orders for Health Department vendors and staff.
- Verifies incoming supplies with purchase order for accuracy.
- Monitors LabCorp bill to assure that charges assessed to DCHD are valid charges and if patient has insurance, then the charges are billed to insurance by LabCorp.
- Assures that all Contracting Agencies are billing for services according to the agreed contract price.
- Verifies ledger entries prepared by County Finance Office and works with finance personnel to reconcile any discrepancies. Keeps Accounting Technician V abreast of account status and any unresolved problems.
- Informs Accounting Technician V of any accounts that are getting low in funds.
- Works with Accounting Technician V in budgeting amounts for expense accounts and to ensure adequate funding.
- Posts expenses on detailed spreadsheets for professional and travel accounts in order to monitor daily activity.
- Makes decisions for fund allocation for services provided or travel expenses and codes invoices accordingly using guidelines and departmental policies.
- Provides advice and guidance to staff on appropriate program category to use for submitting travel requests or reimbursement claims.
- Reserves and pays registration fees and motel rooms for workshop.
- Reviews receipts submitted with travel vouchers to ensure that proper documentation is attached and that it complies with departmental policies as well as accuracy of form entries.
- Processes advance travel requests for employees.
- Administers fiscal management of fund disbursement by reviewing time records submitted by providers to ascertain compliance, completeness and accuracy of documentation, and assignment of program charges based on contract provisions.
- Prepares and submits bi-weekly payroll for Health Department.
- Works with the Accounting Technician V in budgeting funds for various accounts and resolving any anticipated funding problems.
- Assists Accounting Technician V with the budget preparation, payroll and preparing financial reports. Has a working knowledge of all budgeting operations.
- Provides training and works closely with A/R clerk to ensure accounts are properly posted and deposits accurately made. Assists with any balancing issues.
- Balances Medicaid payment when out of balance.
- Runs monthly A/R reports from EMR.
- Assists Accounting Technician I with processing e-superbills in EMR.
- Prints monthly statements.
- Balancing monthly A/R to General Ledger.
- Provides backup coverage to A/R desk in Accounting Technician I’s absence.
- Provides backup coverage in Accounting Technician V’s absence.
- Verifies monthly cash count for the County Finance Office at the beginning of each month.
- Keeps all pharmacy permits up to date.
- Schedules appointments.
- Orders vaccines including pre-books flu vaccine when requested by Immunization nurse.
- Orders birth control products online when requested by nurse.
- Processes Insurance, Medicaid and Medicare claims for Medical services for Duplin County Health Department.
- Prints and saves Medicaid payment from NC Tracks system.
- Prints and prepares HCFAs for mailing for provided medical services.
- Checks Newborn Release Report and updates list and bills accordingly.
- Maintains a list of all current Maternal Health patients.
- Enters Maternal Health charges to Private Insurance and Medicaid through CureMD.
- Works Maternal Health denials.
- Researches Medicaid and Insurance denials and resubmits for payment for Maternal Health programs.
15% Electronic Medical Records and Computer Support
- Knowledgeable of the software programs used by the agency to provide user assistance and communicate problems to software vendors.
- Works with vendors to resolve operating malfunctions or schedule repairs.
- Coordinates programming development and modifications with programmers as needed.
- Runs various EMR reports as requested by Administration.
- Works closely with personnel in the county’s computer department and seeks advice or support as needed.
- Works closely with Accounting Technician V in assessing computer needs and making recommendations for purchases.
- Assists new hires with NPI/DEA if registration is necessary.
- Maintains certification for providers and Health Department in NC Tracks.
- Maintains certification for providers for Medicare through PECOS.
- Serves as a Super User for Cure MD the electronic medical system which consists of:
- Responsible for setting schedules and troubleshooting of security doors. Activates security badges for new employees as well as replacement badges for current employees. Works with Hooks Alarm when problems arise with the security doors.
- Serves as one of the Administrators for NC Tracks which consists of adding new users when needed.
- Performs other related tasks as deemed appropriate by supervisor.
- Staffs shelters during a disaster as assigned.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a high school including or supplemented by basic courses in bookkeeping or accounting and three years’ experience in bookkeeping or accounting clerical work in an accounting office; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid NC Driver’s License
- Reliable means of transportation for work assignments