Administrative Assistant/Visitor Services
DEPARTMENT: Duplin County Events Center
SALARY: Grade 62 $26,533 annually
OPENING DATE: December 2, 2019 CLOSING DATE: December 16, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
APPLY AT: Duplin County Personnel Office
County Administration Building
224 Seminary Street
Kenansville, NC 28349
“Equal Opportunity Employer”
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Purpose of this position is to provide administrative assistance to the Executive Director of the Duplin County Tourism Development Authority (DCTDA) & Duplin County Events Center (DCEC). This position is to perform a variety of tourism administrative duties and clerical work for the DCTDA & DCEC. Employees in this classification perform routine to complex administrative, public relations and clerical work. Position is responsible for extensive public contact, for preparing and processing a variety of reports, forms, correspondence and various other administrative and clerical duties in support of the DCTDA & DCEC.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Promotes travel and tourism in Duplin County and the State of North Carolina.
- Responds appropriately to visitor inquiries, groups, maintains inquiry database. Provides information to visitors in a courteous and concise manner; informs visitors of recreational sites, attractions, and events; updates information files and brochure racks on a regular basis.
- Coordinates all services and follow-up with visitors and groups business including special requests, welcome bags, hotel inventory/availability, overnight pick-ups, and evaluations.
- Prepares bills to be paid, purchasing and ordering, invoices, request to purchase, advance travel forms, and any additional finance documents required by the Duplin County Finance Department for DCTDA &
- Assists with the development and collects comprehensive information to be used for all collateral materials and general information pieces – Visitor’s Guide, Visitor’s Map, Shopping Guide, Dining Guide, Wine Trail, etc.
- Maintains Extranet Program with updated tourism data, coordinates leads created from the system, attends training and communicates with NC Travel & Tourism Division as needed.
- Distributes promotional materials and organizes method to track the inventory
- Completes any project assigned by the Executive Director
- Maintains a professional level of performance, service, and accuracy, while creating a hospitable environment representing Duplin County’s tourism industry
- Keeps the Duplin County Events Center Office and related work area neat and professional in appearance
- Organizes and maintains filing system and resource material in the Duplin County Events Center Office.
- Assists the Director by attending some tourism events and meetings within and outside Duplin County.
- Assists in booking and handling packages with local hotels and businesses. Responsible for gathering visitor information and sending the information to the hotel, managing the website information and requests, creating the package information for the visitors and the hotel staff, sending out schedules and making packets for the visitors, and ensuring that the hotel has all supplies for the packages.
- Responsible for making daily deposits if needed.
- Maintains and updates both websites with WordPress platform
- Oversees social media including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, blog, and Google + for the DCTDA & DCEC.
- Coordinates and oversees the updating and correction of the Calendar of Events for both websites
- Creates monthly e-newsletters through MailChimp for both the DCTDA & DCEC
- Updates the county listings on Visit NC website
- Creates videos to promote the office and local businesses
Manages the postal needs of the DCTDA & DCEC
- Coordinates all daily mail both incoming and outgoing
- Keeps up with current postal rates and regulations and oversees proper mailroom practices
- Coordinates all bulk mailings and brochure shipments
- Keeps postage meter accurate and postage purchases within budget guidelines
Coordinates and prepares information for committee and board meetings as clerk of the TDA
- Issues meeting notices
- Prepares packets and reports and distributes to committees and the Tourism Development Authority
- Attends committee and board meetings as directed
- Records official minutes at meetings; distributes to members in a timely manner
Additional Event Center Responsibilities:
- Helps develop and design facility sales, rental and collateral materials.
- Builds and updates E-Tix database
- Helps to develop and annually update pricing and sales materials.
- Will be required to use Eventpro
- Identifies, researches, tracks results and helps with some trade shows.
- Trains with Event/Venue Services Manager to learn stage set-up, sound system, concession registers, and other electronic systems.
- Develops knowledge of crowd management and control techniques
- Works a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
Serves in absence of director.
Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Associate’s degree with course work emphasis in business related field; supplemented by one (1) to two (2) years previous experience and/or training involving office or secretarial work; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Must possess a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
Serv Safe Certification
Learn to drive a forklift
In accordance with the county’s drug free workplace policy, employees will be subject to pre-employment and random drug screening.