Equipment Operator 1
DEPARTMENT: Duplin County Solid Waste
SALARY: $ 15.5495 Hourly / $ 32,343 Annually
OPENING DATE: July 17, 2020 “Open Until Filled”
APPLY AT: Duplin County Personnel Office
County Administration Building
224 Seminary Street
Kenansville, NC 28349
Website Address: www.duplincountync.com
“Equal Opportunity Employer”
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
This is skilled work in the operation and maintenance of solid waste collection equipment and solid waste collection and disposal trucks. Responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of assigned equipment/truck is a predominant task. Under general supervision of either the Director or Landfill Supervisor, the purpose of the position is to operate trucks, medium and heavy motorized equipment. Position is responsible for operating a roll-off truck, tractor/trailer truck, front-end loaders, backhoes, bobcats, refuse removal equipment, bailer, and forklift in landfill and recycling operations. Manual work and heavy lifting may also be performed as necessary. Experience in the operation and servicing of heavy equipment, trucks and trailers is also preferred. Performs related work as required.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Drives a truck along an assigned route to collect garbage from dump sites and rental boxes and/or transport garbage collected to final disposal site. Operates lifting mechanism on truck and control mechanism to both load and/or unload truck.
- Picks up trash, metal, bulky items, and recycling materials, secures the loads and takes them to the main landfill empting them in designated areas.
- Maneuvers trucks into loading or unloading positions.
- Operates truck on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of ones surroundings.
- Hauls miscellaneous items as needed for both solid waste department and other county departments (examples — rock/gravel/dirt).
- Operates various solid waste collection, disposal and/or recycling equipment as needed.
- Weighs trailer s) after they are loaded to make sure they are within weight limits, rolls tarps and places trailer(E in staging areas for long haul drivers.
- Conducts visual and random inspections of MSW and C&D at transfer station
- Carries out assignments including such task as fueling trucks and equipment, tire maintenance including tire changes and/or assisting garage as needed, cleaning truck and/or equipment interior and exterior. Performs required basis per-trip vehicle and pre-shift equipment inspections. Notifies Duplin County garage of any issues.
- Operates recycling equipment to prepare recyclable materials for market, directs haulers to proper storage area for recyclables, insures quality of recyclable materials by inspecting materials and removing unacceptable items, loads trucks of baled materials for market.
- Follow Safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions, accidents and injuries to supervisor.
- Monitors solid waste while moving, compacting or covering trash to identify and repot any hazardous materials. Basic hazardous materials identification and handling.
- Maintains clean and safe working environment.
While the following tasks are necessary for the work of the unit, they are not an essential part of the purpose of this position and may also be performed by other unit members.
- Services vehicles; performs welding.
- May be requested to train new employees.
- Equipment Operators may be assigned on-call nights and weekends.
- Overtime may be required and during a disaster or emergency situation
- Performs related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED preferred; supplemented by three (3) to five (5) years previous experience and/or training that includes the operation of trucks and heavy equipment, and experience in refuse collection work; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. . Educational background sufficient to understand oral and written work assignments.
Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Carolina. Possession of a valid Class A Commercial driver’s license (CDL) issued by the State of North Carolina. A pre-employment and continuing passing driving record check will be conducted on employees holding this position. Employees in this position must provide the Director a copy of their annual CDL renewal certificate, letter and/or a copy of their driver’s license. Preference to someone familiar with roads of Duplin County.