About Us |Government Offices |eServices |Demographics | Sites/Buildings | Business Assistance | Tourism | Quality of Life
Animal Management
Board of Elections
Building Inspections
Cooperative Extension
County Offices map
E-911 Communications
Economic Development
Emergency Management
Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Services
  Fire Marshal
Health Services
  Human Resources
  Manager's Office
Parks & Recreation
Register of Deeds
  Senior Center
Sheriff's Office
Social Services
Soil & Water Conservation
Solid Waste & Recycling
Tax Office
Transportation Services
Veterans Services


Workers’ Compensation

(Refer to Worker’s Compensation Insurance Policy in the Duplin County Personnel Policy,
Article VIII – Employee Benefits, Section 7. Worker’s Compensation Insurance, page 110)

If a Duplin County employee is injured while working, follow the steps below:

  1. Notify the Supervisor ASAP
  2. If employee is seriously injured, call Emergency Services (911).
  3. Supervisor calls Human Resources (910-372-9258/9259/9251) to report the injury.
  4. If employee is not seriously injured, send employee to Human Resources to complete paperwork for post-accident drug and/or alcohol screening and medical examination at Employee Wellness Center.
  5. Supervisor always asks employee if they want to see a doctor (Employee Wellness Clinic).  If employee refuses medical attention, Supervisor needs to note refusal on Accident & Investigation Report. 
  6. Supervisor investigates and completes a Supervisors Accident & Investigation Report
  7. After work hours, Supervisor should call Health Department (910-296-2130) for on-call contact to schedule examination and testing either at Health Department or Hospital.
  8. Emergency Management Coordinator/Safety Officer, Matt Barwick, (910-289-7605) should be called ASAP to investigate all serious property and injury accidents.
  9. The employee’s injury reports, photos, etc. will be forwarded to Duplin County’s Worker’s Compensation carrier, Key Risk (24 Hour Client Service Center: 866-847-8872).  Key Risk will assign an adjuster who will complete an investigation and advise the employee the status of the claim.  If the investigation concludes that the employee’s injury meets the criteria established by NC state law, the employee will receive all benefits to which they are entitled under the Worker’s Compensation Act.  A Case Manager may be assigned to monitor the employee’s recuperation and guide the employee through the rehabilitation process so the employee can return to work as soon as possible.  If the adjuster’s investigation discloses a non-covered injury, the employee will be notified in writing of the denial. 
  10. Transitional work assignments such as light duty or modified work may be offered if employee’s physician approves and reasonable accommodations can be accommodated without undue hardship until the employee is able to return to work without limitations.  Once FMLA leave has been exhausted, and transitional work  is appropriate,  refusal of light or modified duty may be grounds for termination of worker’s comp benefits.

 Worker’s Compensation Library & Links