Kenansville is located at the center of Duplin County and is known regionally as a peaceful town, rich in history and proud of its heritage. Settled in 1735 by immigrants from Northern Ireland and Swiss Germans from Switzerland, these early pioneers called their town "Golden Grove". The present town of Kenansville was laid out in 1818 and named for James Kenan.
Kenansville, with an elevation of 127 feet above sea level, is located in the fertile Coastal Plains of southeastern North Carolina. The town is just 55 miles north of Wilmington and 80 miles southeast of Raleigh when using Interstate 40.
Kenansville has a population of 855 based on 2010 census. It is the county seat of Duplin County.
Historic Kenansville is home to The Cowan Museum in the Kelly-Farrior House, Liberty Hall, Murry House Country Inn, Grove Presbyterian Church, and more. The Historic District comprises approximately sixty per cent of the town area.
The Duplin General Hospital is also located in Kenansville and serves as the primary and specialty healthcare for residents in Duplin County. The Emergency Department is staffed by specially trained physicians and nurses and is open 24-hours a day. Additionally, the 101-bed community hospital offers skilled nursing and psychiatric services as well as outpatient treatment and same-day surgery.
The Duplin County Airport is located three miles from Kenansville. The Duplin Commons, a multi-purpose agribusiness center, is just outside Kenansville.