Public Health Nurse II (Clinic Staff Nurse)
SALARY: Grade 72 Starting Salary: $21.7736 Hourly / $45,289 Annually (Based on Qualifications & Experience)
OPENING DATE: June 11, 2019 “OPEN UNTIL FILLED’
APPLY AT: Duplin County Personnel Office
County Administration Building
224 Seminary Street
Kenansville, NC 28349
“Equal Opportunity Employer”
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
The primary purpose of this position is to provide nursing services in the clinic setting. As a clinic staff nurse, a high level of nursing skill is required to complete histories, exams and determine the appropriate action. This employee must stay current and have a working knowledge of standing orders, child health, family planning, maternal health, STD, chronic disease, communicable disease, adult health and immunizations.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
This list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Participates in direct patient care of clients receiving services in the Health Department clinic including adult health services, child health services, STD services, immunizations, communicable diseases, and tuberculosis control.
- Obtains history and work-up of Adult Health, Maternal Health, Family Planning, Child Health patients for FNP.
- Assesses client’s needs in General Clinic.
- Maintains knowledge of immunizations, physical assessment, TB skin testing and treatment, STD treatments and communicable disease.
- Provides and documents appropriately family planning limited history and dispensing of birth control methods.
- Provides pregnancy test counseling and documentation.
- Obtains history and work-up of AH, MH, FP and CH patients for FNP.
- Maintains knowledge of HIV control measures to prevent spread of HIV within the community.
- Stays informed of current trends in public health by attending workshops and conferences.
- Dispenses meds from pharmacy according to current pharmacy policies and procedures.
- Refers client to FNP, MD, or other Health Department services as indicated.
- Uses nursing assessment skills to manage client’s request/problem using standing orders.
- Maintains knowledge and use of in-house standing orders, lab services.
- Provides individualized counseling and education based on the needs of the client on a variety of issues.
- Documents all information according to policy in electronic health record.
- Provides initial work up of clients, including history, vitals, ordering of labs per standing order.
While the following tasks are necessary for the work of the unit, they are not an essential part of the purpose of this position and may also be performed by other unit members.
- Participates in shelter duty and other activities relating to the Department’s emergency response and other disaster relief efforts.
- Serves as a team member during outreach projects such as flu vaccine season, and disease outbreaks.
- Performs any other duties and responsibilities as directed.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from a four-year college or university with a B.S. degree in nursing which includes a public health nursing rotation and one year of Public Health experience; or graduation from an accredited school of professional nursing and two years professional nursing experience including one year in public health; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Be certified in basic CPR life support
- Complete the course and pass the test for Introduction to Principles and Practices of Public Health within 1 year, if employee lacks a BSN with public health rotation.
- Valid NC driver’s license
- Reliable means of transportation for work assignments
- Completion of Dispensing by Public Health nurses within one year of hire date.