About Us |Government Offices |eServices |Demographics | Sites/Buildings | Business Assistance | Tourism | Quality of Life
Message from Register
  General Information
  Search Our Records
  Order Vital Records Online
  Fee Schedule
Common Terms
  History of the Office:
  Origins & Record Keeping Methods
List of Register of Deeds & Biographies
  Real Property Records:
  Recording Information
  N.C. Document Standards
  Maps / Plats
  UCC Information
Document & Indexing Abbreviations
Identity Theft Protection Act
  Vital Records:
Birth Records
  Death Records
  Marriage Records
  Marriage License
  Military Discharges
  Genealogical Information:
  Genealogical Information
  Other Services:
Notary Public Information
Assumed Names / DBA Information
Useful Links:
Duplin Co. Government Telephone Directory


North Carolina law requires that the Register of Deeds record any official discharge, or official certificate of lost discharge, from the army, navy, marine corps, or any other branch of the armed forces of the United States that is presented to him or her.


The military discharges are recorded without charge and copies are issued without charge as a service to our veterans.


Unlike all other records contained in the Register of Deeds Office military discharge documents are considered a public record with restricted access unless they have been on file for 80 years or more.


In accordance with N.C.G.S. 47-113.2(b)(1) only the following are authorized to record and/or obtain a copy of a military discharge document:

•  The Veteran named in the document or the Veteran's widow or widower

•  Agent or representative of the veteran authorized in writing by:

•  The veteran or veteran's widow or widower in a notarized authorization

•  A court representing the subject

•  The veteran's executor acting on behalf of the deceased veteran

•  Authorized agent of the NC Division of Veteran Affairs, the US Department of Veterans Affairs, the US Department of Defense, or a court official who is assisting the veteran or veteran's beneficiaries to obtain a benefit.

•  Agent or representative of the NC State Archives

In order to obtain a copy of a military discharge document the following authorizations and identifications are required:

Requestor Authorization and/or ID Required

Veteran named in document valid government issued picture ID

Veteran's widow or widower a notarized authorization from the veteran and a valid government issued picture ID

Veteran's executor Letter of Testamentary and a valid

government issued picture ID

Phone: (910) 296-2108
Fax: (910) 296-2344
Mailing Address: PO Box 970, Kenansville, NC 28349
Location: Duplin County Courthouse Annex, Room #106
Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
E-mail: dbrinson@duplincountync.com