Duplin County NC

County News

A Taste of Duplin & More
April 26th from 5 – 8:30 pm
at the Duplin County Events Center
195 Fairgrounds Drive, Kenansville, NC 28349

You and yours are cordially invited to delight your taste buds, visit with old friends, make new friends, and experience your Duplin County like never before. Join Duplin County Tourism for our 5th Annual A Taste of Duplin & More on April 26th.      

Our event is focused on creating a refreshing and relaxed atmosphere highlighting everything that makes Duplin County a great place to live and visit.  A Taste of Duplin and more is designed to promote Duplin County storefront businesses and businesses whose products are sold in local stores. 

TASTE: Food and Wine from Duplin County
SHOP: Boutiques, shops, and local products from Duplin County
EXPLORE: Museums, festivals, and attractions in Duplin County 

For more information and to purchase tickets, visit www.tasteofduplin.com 

Community Dementia Workshop will be held April 26, 2019.

First session will be held from 9:30 AM to 12:00 Noon.

Second session will be held from 1:00 PM to 4:30 PM.

Event will be at the Lois G. Britt Building, 165 Agricultural Drive, Kenansville, NC 28349

Click here for more information.


2019 State of the County Presentation

Cabin Lake County Park will be having an Easter Egg Hunt for children ages 2-9 on Saturday, April 6, 2019 from 4-4:30 PM at the Park Picnic Shelter.
This event is free but preregistration is appreciated.  Please call the Park Office at (910) 298-3648 to preregister.
In event of inclement weather this event will be cancelled.
Please call the Park Office if weather looks questionable.

Duplin County is hosting a Public Meeting regarding the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (“Buyout Program”)

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.

Ed Emory Auditorium
165 Agriculture Drive
Kenansville, NC 28349

Representatives from the North Carolina Department of Public Safety Division of Emergency Management will provide information about the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, such as residential home acquisition (buyout), elevation, and mitigation reconstruction.

This meeting is open to the public, including residents who have applied for the program, and residents who want to learn about applying.

Persons with disabilities or who need accommodations attending this event can contact 910-296-2102.


Related Information:

Acquisition Fact Sheet
Elevation Fact Sheet
Homeowner Guide HMGP Fact Sheet
Hurricane Florence Buyout – Homeowner Application

Stargazing at Cabin Lake

Saturday, April 6, 2019
7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.

Enjoy an evening of stargazing and educational adventures!

  • 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., there will be fun hands-on activities and stories for kids with the Duplin County Library!
  • 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. take a tour of the night sky with the Cape Fear Astronomical Society, where one will see a star cluster, star systems, and galaxies.

Cabin Lake County Park
220 Cabin Lake Rd.
Pink Hill, NC 28572

For questions about the event contact the Cowan Museum of History and Science at (910) 296-2149, or visit www.cowanmuseum.org.


Sci-Farm Day

Saturday, May 4, 2019
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Visit Tarkil Branch Farm’s Homestead Museum for a fun-filled day of farm activities… with science!

  • Take a selfie with baby goats, chickens, and ducks from the University of Mount Olive!
  • Make ice cream with James Sprunt Community College (free samples for the public) and milk a model cow!
  • Learn from East Duplin High School how apple cider and apple cider vinegar is made. Free apple cider samples for the public.
  • Demos of turpentine distillation.
  • Demos of grafting grape vines by Mill Branch Vineyards. Free grape juice samples for the public.
  • Make edible soil profiles with the Duplin Agribusiness Academy.
  • Talk to a beekeeper and learn the science of how honey is made (with free honey tasting).
  • Sandwiches for sale from the Country Barn!

Tarkil Branch Farm’s Homestead Museum
1198 Fountaintown Road
Beulaville, NC 28518

For questions about the event contact the Cowan Museum of History and Science at (910) 296-2149, or visit www.cowanmuseum.org.



Alternative Energy Day Tour

Saturday, April 20, 2019
12:30 p.m. – 4:40 p.m.

Get ready to embark on a journey that will provide a behind-the-scenes view of how Duplin County produces alternative energy. People joining the tour will learn:

  • How hog waste is converted to energy at Smithfield.
  • What types of plants are raised for biofuels at the NCSU Williamsdale Research Farm.
  • The tour will begin at:
    • Cowan Museum of History and Science
    • 411 S. Main St., Kenansville, NC 28349
    • (910) 296-2149, cowanmuseum.org

For questions about the event contact the Cowan Museum of History and Science at (910) 296-2149, or visit www.cowanmuseum.org.


Earth Day Celebration

Saturday, April 27, 2019
11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Visit the Cowan Museum of History and Science for a celebration of our extraordinary planet. During our Earth Day party, people of all ages may enjoy the following:

  • Hands-on activities about earth science and astronomy provided by the National Informal STEM Education (NISE) Network.
  • Learn about silkworms and paint on silk!
  • See paintings done by birds from the Cape Fear Parrot Sanctuary and meet some of their feathered residents. There will also be a Meet & Greet with the “Pirates for Parrots” author and Charlie, the Picasso of Parrots.
  • Raffle/prizes (a chance to win a dinosaur tooth)!
  • Tree planting ceremony.
  • Nature photography exhibit/sale.
  • Food!
  • Plant sale in the historical park’s General Store.
  • New Earth Day-related additions to our Little Free Library.
  • Plus, our neighbors at Liberty Hall Restoration will hold their Heritage Day, where one may learn the science behind everyday activities in the 1800s, like laundry!
  • Where? Cowan Museum of History and Science
  • 411 S. Main St., Kenansville, NC 28349
  • (910) 296-2149, cowanmuseum.org

For questions about the event contact the Cowan Museum of History and Science at (910) 296-2149, or visit www.cowanmuseum.org.


February 12, 2019 6:00 p.m.— 8:00 p.m.
Ed Emory Auditorium, 165 Agriculture Drive, Kenansville

FEMA-4393-DR-NC Mitigation Branch is hosting a Community Education Workshop to provide recovery and mitigation information for homeowners. The workshop combines brief presentations, a question-and-answer period, and an open-forum period. Panelists will include subject manner experts from Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Small Business Administration (SBA) and FEMA’s Divisions to include: Floodplain & Insurance, Individual Assistance/Housing, Disability Integration, Environmental & Historic Preservation and Community Education & Outreach. 

Workshop topics:
– Mitigation application in pre- and post-disaster environments.
– Information for homeowners, along with business owners and renters, on mitigation measures that can lessen the impact of future disasters such as floods,      tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.
– Overview of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and any other applicable insurance coverage such as fire, high wind, etc.
– Understanding the value of mitigation, i.e. dollars spent vis-à-vis dollars saved.
– Defining the concept of building safer, stronger and smarter.
– Providing information on possible funding sources for implementing mitigation measures and on other resources.
– Demonstrating the use of the flood maps and providing attendees the opportunity to locate their properties on the local floodplain map.


Date: Thursday, March 21, 2019

Time: 9:00 AM — 2:00 PM

Where: Pathway Church
               275 N. NC Hwy 41
               Beulaville, NC 28518

Event Details:
     Take Home FREE Over the Counter Medicine Items!
     Find out more about NC MedAssist Free Pharmacy Program
     Free Health Screenings
     OTC Items Include: cold, cough and flu medicine, Band-Aids, pain and allergy
     relief, vitamins and children’s medicine, and much more while supplies last!
     No ID Required—Must Be 18 or Older

For more information visit: www.medassist.org

Informational Flyer
Home Bound Guidelines
Shopping Sheet – Home Bound


Saturday, April 13, 2019
(Rain Date April 20, 2019)
Registration begins at 8:00 AM
Tournament ends at 11:00 AM

Tournament will be free to all participants between the ages of 4 and 14.

There will be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prize in each of the three different age brackets (e.g. 4-6. 7-9, and 10-14 years of age)
and a Grand Prize for the biggest fish

April 13, 2019
Cabin Lake Park –Beulaville, NC

Pre-Registration or Information 910-296-2120 ext. 3 or email: amanda.williams@nc.nacdnet.net

View the 2019 Fishing Rules and Regulations

Download and complete the 2019 Fishing Registration Form

Damage Assessment Information

Damage Assessment Questionnaire